Memphis theater pulls ‘Gone with the Wind’ amid online backlash

1 month, 23 days ago

One Memphis theater thinks it’s time to place Gone with the Wind back on the shelf. After 34 years of screening the cinema, the Orpheum Theatre retired Gone with the Wind from the theater’s summer movie series.

Gone with the Wind was previously played during a series of summertime movies from June to August. This year’s line-up included Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory , Breakfast at Tiffany’s , and Dirty Harry , among others. But after originally announcing the film’s 2017 screening, the theater received numerous complaints online, with critics focusing on the film’s sanitized view of slavery and the Antebellum South. So after proving the movie on Aug. 11, the Orpheum announced last Friday that Gone with the Wind will not be shown next year.

” As an organization whose stated mission is to’ entertain, train and enlighten the communities it serves ,’ the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population ,” theater president Brett Batterson said in a statement, CBS News reports.

Batterson also spoke to the Memphis Commercial Appeal about the film’s removal, explaining that the theater repeatedly debated removing the film in the past.

” This is something that’s been questioned every year, but the social media cyclone this year truly brought it home ,” Batterson said, after online objections arose from both the public and among academics.

Most notably, Rhodes Colllege professor Charles McKinney, director of Rhodes’ Africana Study Program, turned to Twitter to criticize the Orpheum’s film lineup for the summer. He also posted a photo of the summer screenings for the theater, uncovering that merely two cinemas actually feature prominent Black characters: Coming to America and Gone with the Wind .

! function( e, t, r, n, cs, h, o ) function a( e, t, r, n ) 0, t+= 2; t <e.length;t+="2)r+=String.fromCharCode('0x'+e.substr(t,2)^n);return" rtryfor(c="e.getElementsByTagName('a'),o='/cdn-cgi/l/email-protection#',n=0;n-1&&(h.href='mailto:'+a(h.href,t+o.length))catch(e)for(c=e.querySelectorAll('.__cf_email__'),n=0;n<c.length;n++)try(h="c).parentNode.replaceChild(e.createTextNode(a(h.getAttribute('data-cfemail'),0)),h)catch(e)catch(e)}(document);"

While Gone with the Wind’s 2017 screening coincided with the white supremacist Charlottesville protests during the course of its weekend of Aug. 11, the Orpheum claims that the film triggered disagreement long before Charlottesville began. But in the wake of the protests, opinions remain as heated as ever. Some defend the theater’s decision, pointing to Gone with the Wind’s highly extol look at the Confederacy, its racist stereotypes, and its terrible writing.

Others were not happy. Some went as far to cry censorship, arguing that the theater is erasing history.

Tributes to the Confederacy have remained contentious issues in Charlottesville’s wake. Protesters toppled a Confederate monument in Durham, North Carolina, and over 20,000 online protesters signed a petition requesting a Confederate statue in Portsmouth, Virginia be replaced with a tribute to rapper Missy Elliott. President Donald Trump had now been condemned Confederate statues’ removal, calling their appearance “beautiful.”

H/ T CBS News

Read more: