Corrie Mckeague and his mysterious disappearance – BBC News

4 months ago
Image copyright Suffolk Constabulary Image caption Corrie Mckeague was last seen in Bury St Edmunds at about 03:20 BST on 24 September

Seconds after this CCTV picture was taken, airman Corrie Mckeague turned to the right and disappeared into the darkness. Who is he and how did he vanish without trace?

Tucking into takeaway food on a mild autumn night, Mr Mckeague appeared to be in good spirits. He’d only played a game of newspaper, scissors, stone with a stranger.

It was 03:20 BST on Saturday, 24 September and he had been on a drunken night out with friends in the Suffolk town of Bury St Edmunds.

No-one has watched or heard from him since.

Who is Corrie Mckeague?

Image copyright Suffolk Constabulary Image caption Mr Mckeague is from Dunfermline, Fife, but was posted to RAF Honington in Suffolk

Corrie Mckeague was born in Perth and brought up in Cupar, Fife, with his two brothers Darroch, 21, and Makeyan, 25.

Their mothers separated when Mr Mckeague was nine and the boys moved 28 miles( 45 km) away to Dunfermline with their mom Nicola Urquhart.

At St Columba’s High School in the town, Mr Mckeague had longed to become a Royal Marine but he initially went on to train to become a hairdresser at Adam Smith College in Kirkcaldy.

After realising hairdressing was not the career for him, he departed for Perth College University of the Highlands and Islands to become a fitness trainer.

It was then he decided to join the Royal Air Force and was posted to RAF Honington in October 2013.

He spent three months developing before passing out – something his grandmother Mary Mckeague described as his family’s “proudest day”.

Mr Mckeague is a gunner in No 2 Sqn, RAF Regiment.

He is white, 5ft 10 ins( 1.78 m) tall, of medium construct, with short light brown hair.

His mother has described him as “gregarious”, “funny” and someone who “loves to be the centre of attention”.

“You don’t forget Corrie if you fulfill him once, ” she said.

Mr Mckeague has a cross-breed puppy named Louell, which his family said he “loves to bits”, and he had induced plans to visit his grandparents at Halloween.

What do we are all familiar with the night he vanished?

Image copyright Suffolk Police Image caption Corrie Mckeague was last ensure walking alone in Bury St Edmunds

Mr Mckeague had intended to head into Bury St Edmunds on 23 September with a group of friends from the air base, but due to a misunderstanding he had been left behind.

Instead, he drove himself into the town, about nine miles( 15 km) from the base.

He parked his BMW Z4 on Robert Boby Way just after 22:00 BST and spent an hour on the phone to his brother Darroch, constructing plans for the following weekend.

Mr Mckeague then went to join his friends.

The group went to the So Bar on Langton Place where they joined in a anthem with musician Nick Lowe.

The singer said Mr Mckeague was “quite a regular” in all of the bars.

Image caption Posters have been distributed far and wide in the search of Mr Mckeague

Mr Mckeague and friends then headed over to the Wetherspoon Corn Exchange pub at about 23:30 BST.

Megan Manning, who was there on the night, said: “He was coming up to loads of different tables, saying ‘hello’ to everyone. He was chatty; he was nice – a nice boy.”

She said he was “memorable” because of the attire he was wearing that night: a light-pink Ralph Lauren shirt, white jeans and a pair of Timberland suede boots.

Mr Mckeague and his friends left the Corn Exchange at about 00:30 BST and went to Flex nightclub on St Andrew’s Street, simply a minute’s walk away.

Manager Ben Manning said he had asked Mr Mckeague if he was drunk, to which he said Mr Mckeague replied “yes”, told him “I love you” and gave him a hug before “stumbling” inside.

Just after 01:00 BST, Mr Mckeague was escorted out of Flex by doorman Will Hook.

Mr Hook said the serviceman had “consumed enough alcohol” to draw attention to himself and “amicably” agreed to leave.

It was then that he became separated from his friends.

He bought burgers, a kebab and a bag of chips from his regular place, Pizza Mamma Mia, on St Andrew’s Street North, where he seemed “happy” and played stone, paper, scissors with a stranger.

He could be seen feeing his food as he passed a CCTV camera opposite The Grapes pub on the corner of Brentgovel Street and St Andrew’s Street at about 01:20 BST.

He took a sleep for about two hours in the doorway of electrical store Hughes on the corner of Brentgovel Street and St John’s Street.

At 03:08 BST, Mr Mckeague forwarded a photo of a previous night out to a friend from his phone.

Mr Mckeague turned right into a loading bay area, known as the “Horseshoe”, behind Greggs, at 03:25 BST.

The area is closed off by buildings and the rooftops have been searched and analyzed with police.

It has been proven that an individual cannot leave the area on foot without being ensure on CCTV, but Mr Mckeague was not caught on camera again.

What has happened since?

Image caption Mr Mckeague’s father Martin and grandparents Mary and Oliver offered a five-figure reward

RAF Honington reported Mr Mckeague’s disappearance to police on Monday, 26 September when he did not turn up to parade at 11:30 BST.

The base would ordinarily report a serviceman AWOL but Mrs Urquhart said he was treated as a missing person straight away.

She said this was partly because of heightened security after the attempted abduction of a serviceman close to RAF Marham in Norfolk in July, and also because Mr Mckeague’s disappearance was “so out of character”.

Police first advised the media of his disappearance on Tuesday, 27 September and released CCTV footage of him in Brentgovel Street the next day.

Here’s what has happened since 😛 TAGEND 4 October: It is revealed that his mobile phone had been tracked moving 12 miles( 19 km) away to Barton Mills hours after he was last find. 21 October: Further footage is released, depicting his last confirmed sighting. 24 October: A driver reports seeing a human walking near the Hollow Road industrial estate on the working day Mr Mckeague disappeared. 15 November: Portion of the A14 near Bury St Edmunds is shut while police carry out a roadside search. 5 December: His grandparents Mary and Oliver Mckeague offer a “five-figure” reward for information leading to his discovery. 8 December: A crowdfunding campaign to hire a private investigator to search for Mr Mckeague raises 20,000 within two days and police release CCTV footage of 10 people they want to speak to. 9 December: Mrs Urquhart says she has “lost faith” in police over their search for her son. 16 December: Outgoing RAF Honington commander Gp Capt Mick Smeath are speaking about Mr Mckeague’s friends’ hopes that he will be found. 17 December: A search are governed by Mrs Urquhart takes place at an area of forest near RAF Honington. 20 December: Mr Mckeague’s uncle Tony Wringe conveys anger over a apparently bogus fundraising website put up in his nephew’s name. Image caption Mr Mckeague walked down Brentgovel Street Image caption Mrs Urquhart said a forest near RAF Honington could be “confidently crossed off” after volunteers searched the area Image caption Nicola Urquhart said RAF Honington reported her son as missing rather than AWOL as “they knew something was wrong” Image caption The search goes on for Mr Mckeague

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *